The complexity of property loss due to fire and smoke damage is due enlarge to the unique behavior of smoke. Smoke and heat can penetrate into structural cavities causing hidden damage and lingering odors. It’s imperative that this be assessed and accounted for. A fire damage professional can determine the impact fire, smoke, and moisture had on your building and its contents.
Facts about smoke:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows through the holes around pipes used for the plumbing and electrical systems to go from floor to floor.
Facts about residual soot:
- Wet smoke residue results from smoldering fires with low heat. This residue is sticky, smeary, and pungent.
- Dry smoke residue results from fast burning, high temperature fires. This residue is dry, powdery, non-smeary smoke particles.
- Protein residue is extremely pungent, but essentially invisible, and can discolor paints, varnishes, and finishes.
- Fuel or oil residue results only if petroleum products were stored on site. More commonly, fuel and oil residue comes from furnace puff-backs that cause fuel oil soot.
- Fire extinguisher residue will vary according to the type of fire extinguisher used. Some types of extinguishers do not require clean-up after use, though chemical extinguishers will.
Legacy Reconstruction will survey the site while initially inspecting the property to determine the extent of fire damage and the scope of required structure cleaning, and repairs. This includes assessing the full extent of smoke and fire damage; the material effect of smoke and/or fire; what can be restored and what must be replaced; the proper method for cleaning soot residue and eliminating smoke odor; assistance with the relocation during the reconstruction period; and how long the cleanup and restoration reconstruction will take.
Legacy Reconstruction will do whatever it takes to restore your sense of normalcy and security with a minimum of disruption. Since most clients continue to live or work in their homes or offices during the restoration period, we use a software program that allows you constant visibility with daily logs, weekly progress photos and a start to finish schedule.
In consideration of both people and property Legacy Reconstruction professionals will handle your home or business reconstruction with the utmost care. We want to help you overcome the feelings of frustration and helplessness, and will explain every step of the process so you understand what is happening and know what to expect. Legacy Reconstruction will keep you constantly up to date and answer all your questions while helping you get back to your normal life as quickly as possible.